Sunday, February 11, 2007

Dear John Letter

Dear John, (Alton)

I was hoping to meet you at the last Meet-N-Greet. Thanks for reading my blog and replying. I will be responding to your reply from top to bottom so I hope it still makes sense the way it will be laid out. To avoid miss quoting your comments (in red) they will all be copied and pasted to this article.

“I was born and raised in New Albany. I graduated from New Albany High School in 1972...how about you? I didn't just come on the scene 15 years ago.”

I truly hope you are not a person who believes that the person who lives here the longest must know more, or be the only person who can make a difference in the community.

“The Montessori school is in New Albany on St. Joseph Rd. You may have seen, either on the internet or in a phone book, Floyds Knobs for the city.”

John, you underestimate me. My source is the 2005 Cities and Towns, U.S. Census Boundaries Map. According to this source the city limits crosses Charlestown Rd. near the intersection of Payne Koehler Rd. It follows C-town Rd north to the exit ramp from 265 east. It follows 265 West to the Klerner Ln. overpass. Follows Klerner Ln. to Grantline Rd. Goes north on Grantline Rd to just north of Timber Pike Dr. and just south of Bald Knob Creek, then it goes west. That leaves the area west-north west of the Grantline Rd-Klerner Ln. intersection “out” of the city. I believe this to be a reliable source but, if you can prove “them” wrong since I used them as my source I will apologize.

“For a city that says it's always broke, it always seems to be able to fund millions for new medical buildings.”

If a city council spends money they don’t have on a project that will generate more in revenue than their initial outlay I would consider that an investment. It is, other than raising taxes, fees and cutting spending, nearly the only way for a debt ridden city to work itself out of debt. However if the money spent is not going to generate the return, we agree!!

About the $1.00 donations, I was seriously complementing you. That was a great idea. My comment as to the kids doing it instead of the government, that was directed at the school for going to NA Council instead of the kids and parents working the sidewalks, not at you. Sorry.

“I've noticed in your postings on here that you're quick to criticize everyone else,”

Are you kidding me? I went back and reread my posts. I found four instances where I would consider myself to have been very critical. If you are reading Roger’s posts and others on NA Confidential and the sites links, and you are calling “me” critical. I must be missing something. By the way here are a couple of yours;

“somebody take Mr. Price to Bizers or American Eye Institute he needs his "vision" corrected a little bit.”

Does anyone on council have a vision?

“Larry Kochert… the exulted one.”- “one worn out Council President.”

I said he was arrogant and not a good leader.

“and no incumbent on the current City Council is willing to offer up any inkling of an idea, and no incumbent is willing to take the time to look for alternate funding ideas,”

Sounds like they’re inept to me.

“ to get caught up in "party politics", with everything being absorbed into a party platform which usually winds up producing what...NO change at all, and this goes for either party.”

I agree!

“for me choosing not to run for the 4th District seat as a Democrat is that nobody knows me except those of you who read these blogs, word of mouth, and those who actually know me.”

You and I have the same problem. I have only lived in NA for 15yrs. So I digress to your opening statement without a clear understanding as to why. “First of all, I was born and raised in New Albany. I graduated from New Albany High School in 1972...how about you?”

4 comments:

John Alton said...

My saying that I was born and raised in New Albany and that I didn't just come on the scene 15 years ago was just an answer to your.."I am sorry but, I have to ask, where on God’s green earth have you been for the last 15yrs!!" I am not a person who believes that someone who has been here for 15, or even 5 years can not make a difference here. The information that I received on the actual location of this school came from a board member of the school after I had entered it as Floyds Knobs. I considered someone who goes to the school regularly as a reliable source. Even so, the majority of the students are from New Albany. The school was also asking the other communities who have students going there for assistance as well.
the city never did actually say it didn't have the money to give to the school, instead the Council President, according to a Dick Kaukas article in Friday, Jan 5th's Courier~Journal said, "he and others were uncomfortable about giving money to the school because it might set a precedent that would make it hard to resist similar requests".

Where did you see this as an editorial on Jan. 11th? It was posted on my blog on Jan 7th. The article that I sent to the Tribune, was not published due to the length, even after editing. It looks like we both agree on one thing. There needs to be some sort of change here...right? One difference that I see is that I do criticize, but I offer alternative/untried ideas and suggestions.

15A is in the 5th District why are you so concerned about me in the 4th?. I won't reply to anymore of these without knowing who "coop" actually is.

John Alton said...

Just one added note...I mentioned that I graduated from New Albany High School in 1972 because of your line..."I hope he is not a product of Montessori". I hope by that statement that you do not think that students that do attend the Montessori school are not as smart as other students. Charter Public schools are held to very high standards, and they have to maintain a certain overall GPA average to receive what funding they do get.

Coop said...

John again thanks for your response. Our reading between each others lines is coming much clearer now. The information we are exchanging in our chats is actually bringing us closer on the issues. To bad our council can’t figure that one out.

Your article was published on the opinions page as a guest columnist. I guess that’s why you got more than the usual 250 words that I had to respond with. The post on my blog is much different than what the public read on the opinions page.

I have a high regard for Charter Public schools. There were several Montessori schools in the community I moved from. I would never offer to donate my hard earned funds to a non deserving organization.

It is not that I am concerned about you that I responded to you column. There was a lot in there that I didn’t agree with. My response was to be aimed at the message not the messenger. “One” of my weaknesses is that I can get very sarcastic. I think that led to the appearance that you were my target. For that you have my sincere apology. When we finally meet and get to shake hands I will give you that apology in person.

Yes 15A is in the 5th district. As long as the 4th district is in New Albany I will be watching and participation in discussion. When I go to meetings and social events we don’t only discuss my district or precinct. We talk about the city and county in most discussions. When John Alton’s name comes up I would like to know something about him. Now I do.

I have an email link on my blog. I would love to sit down and have a coffee (cappuccino) with you if you ever get time. Other wise I’ll be looking forward to the next meet-n-greet.

John Alton said...

Isn't that the truth...lol. I didn't think the paper published the column. I must have just overlooked it in the paper...hard to miss my own name, but I guess I did...duh! I think everyone has the same "weakness" at times...I know I do. No apology necessary, was just difference in opinions, and that's what it's all about. It may be the next meet "n" greet before we meet (unintentional rhyme), but I look forward to it.