Monday, February 16, 2009

A Common Vision with Voices Part 1

Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
`I don't much care where--' said Alice.
`Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
`--so long as I get somewhere,' Alice added as an explanation.
`Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, `if you only walk long enough.'

I am tired of the leaders of this town walking us along this bumpy road they are taking us down that leads to nowhere. Actually where it is leading is to an eventual dead end. It is time for the people of New Albany and Floyd County to get off their collective “dead ends” and make a difference.

Yes I said Floyd County as well. If you think we can attain great things here in this county seat without those that live outside of the city limits, I think you are mistaken.

A recent post by a blogger described New Albany as a dying city based on her population decline from the 2000 census to July of ’07. What a “dweeb”. How many homes have been built just outside the city limits in the last nine years? And for that matter if you use Charlestown Rd as an example, how many are just on the north side of County Line Rd. with a Sellersburg address? Multiply that number by what a minimum of 2.5 per home. Ask these people where they live and see if they say Floyd County, Sellersburg or New Albany. I think I know where the missing 570 people have gone and where their hearts remain. We must not forget them and we must find a way to keep them involved in New Albany.

In response to Highwayman’s post of 2/16, Looking Back to Move Forward (we need to identify where we’re going in order to get there) is very true. That reminds me of one of the first books I ever read from cover to cover titled "If you dont know where you are going you will probably end up somewhere else" by David Campbell.

However I think the first need is to define who “we” are. Will every voice wanting to be heard actually have a “listener”. Will someone be willing to “listen” to anyone? The problem right now is that the surface has not yet even been scratched as far as voices being “heard” not to mention actually having someone “listen”.

Attend a council meeting and you may average seeing five people speak to council. To council these people represent five people with five different opinions and concerns. Think these people are being listened to or just heard?Now take the scenario of 10 representatives from ten different neighborhood associations before city council. Each rep can prove that he represents 10 of the cities movers and shakers and the voices of 100 concerned and active citizens. Each of the 10 voices has the same opinion, the same concern and the same solution. Do you think these ten would just be heard or do you think council would actually listen?

Those numbers represent 100 of the cities movers and shakers and 1000 actively concerned citizens. I am quite sure the “at large” members are paying attention and sure the council person whose precinct is targeted with the concern and solution is wide awake. So how many votes does it take to get something passed? The concern has just been brought before council and we are almost home already.

I know what you’re thinking. How did you get to those numbers and how is it possible to have that kind of organization? Well, you will have to stay tuned because it is nearly midnight. I suddenly and quite unexpectedly lost my father Sunday morning. I am a little down and very tired so I must stop now. Since I have part ll down and in notes I promise I will finish and post before I head to Ohio for services.

No comments: