Tuesday, February 17, 2009

81st Oscar Picks by Coop

Here are my picks for this years awards. A few comments and then my guess as to what the academy will then my pick follows.


Original Screenplay

This is a complete toss-up as far as I am concerned.
Academy Pick: MILK
Coop’s Pick : MILK



Adapted Screenplay

The Academy may fool me here and go with Slumdog but I must pick only one so...
Academy Pick: Benjamin Button
Coop’s Pick : The Reader


Achievement in visual effects

A couple of good ones here. I am not going with oohs and aahs. I am going where I think the effects really made the movie entertaining.
Academy Pick: Dark Knight
Coop’s Pick : Iron Man



Achievement in sound mixing

I loved the emotional sounds from the machines, the air chairs and chase scenes
Another tough category with three stumpers to pick from.
Academy Pick: Dark Knight
Coop’s Pick : Wall-E



Achievement in sound editing

I think Wanted may be the sleeper here. I didn’t think much of the movie so I can’t bring myself to vote for it. I am going back to my entertainment value here.
Academy Pick: Dark Knight
Coop’s Pick : Iron Man



Best live action short film

I think this is the poorest category. Not exciting at all. So I don't care just pick one.
Academy Pick: On The Line
Coop’s Pick :Manon on the Asphalt



Best Animated Short Film

The best and most fun category of the year. To bad there has to be four losers here. “Presto” is the front runner for the Academy. But, I look for an upset. “Presto” was my least favorite. “La Maison” was hand drawn, dramatic and almost riveting in some moments. “Lavatory”, also hand drawn and not much more than stick people was the one that drew the most belly laughs for me and a cute ending. “Oktapodi” has the cute factor working for it. “This Way Up” I thought was the best done and makes you compare it to so many other things you’ve seen before. At one point I was thinking Laurel & Hardy meets Tim Burton. Lots of fun here.
Academy Pick: La Maison en Petits Cubes
Coop’s Pick : La Maison en Petits Cubes (but my heart is with Lavatory Lovestory)



Motion Picture of the Year

Benjamin Button was my least favorite. A tough decision between the remaining four. Kate Winslet had her cloths off more than she had them on in the first half of the movie. I still think the movie was well done and a complete film.
Academy Pick: Slumdog Millionaire
Coop’s Pick : The Reader (secretly rooting for Slumdog)



Original Song

See ya later Disney. Not a chance!! It is Slumdog all the way!! If parts of you body don't move while listening to this song you may be dead.
Academy Pick: O Saya
Coop’s Pick : O Saya



Original Score

Another no brainer for the "Dog". This sound track really moves!
Academy Pick: Slumdog
Coop’s Pick : Slumdog (secretly hoping for James Newton Howard-Defiance)



Achievement in Makeup

I think another hands down pick but, one actor in Black Knight may be enough to tilt it.
Academy Pick: Benjamin Button
Coop’s Pick : Benjamin Button



Best Foreign Film

Another no brainer for the academy this year. I don't think they can help themselves. I am voting for drama, twist and great story.
Academy Picks: Waltz with Bashir
Coop’s Pick : Revanche



Film Editing

If the Academy continues to just pick the longest movie they will go to Benjamin Button.
Academy Pick: Milk
Coop’s Pick : Slumdog



Documentary Short

Another poor category. I don't really care. They didn't make me care.

Academy Pick: The witness
Coop’s Pick Smile Pinki



Documentary Feature

Encounters has everything the academy like in this category except politics. The cinematography was great. I was board through it till the prostitute penguin discussion came up. With Man on Wire, how this guy pulled that off is amazing and kept you interested in the film.

Academy Pick: Encounters at the end of the world
Coop’s pick : Man on Wire



Achievement in Directing

Let's see if the academy grows some rocks and votes where the award is really deserved or just go with their favorite.
Academy Pick: Frost/Nixon
Coop’s Pick : Slumdog



Costume design

Not really a lot to pick from here either. What there was was pretty good though.
Academy pick: Benjamin Button
Coop’s Pick : The Duchess



Art Direction

Academy Pick: Benjamin Button
Coop’s Pick : Benjamin Button



Animated Feature film

Only three to pick from. "Panda" had a good message but not much more. "Wall-E" was different but, not what people were expecting to see. "Bolt" was Buzz Lightyear repackaged into his own film. Toy Story was huge.
Academy Pick: Wall-E
Coop’s Pick : Bolt



Supporting Actress

Davis was really good but, I can't bring myself to vote for a five minute performance. The same goes for Cruise. Amy Adams is my hands down favorite.
Academy Pick: Viola Davis
Coop’s Pick : Amy Adams



Leading Actress

I don't thin the academy can stay away from Streep here. Although Kate Winslet's role reminds a lot of Halle Berrie's award winning role. She would be the sleeper. Personally I thought Angelina did the best job.
Academy Pick: Meryl Streep
Coop’s Pick : Angelina Jolie



Supporting Actor

Not just a sentimental pick. He was very good in a good role. Any other year the others may be deserving.
Academy Pick: Heath Ledger
Coop’s Pick : Heath Ledger



Leading Actor

Again I don't think the academy can stay away from one of their favorites.
Academy Pick: Sean Penn
Coop’s Pick : Mickey Rourke (secretly rooting for Frank Langella)

No comments: