Friday, February 22, 2008

Oscar Predictions

Maybe it is just me but, where is the excitement this year? There just doesn't seem to be much talk this year. Maybe I can stir up some conversation with my predictions.

BEST PICTURE-Atonement gets my nod as the best picture. Another film I really enjoyed watching was Juno. This could go to either film.

BEST ACTOR-Johnny Depp is my choice. Watched this performance with eyes wide open!
Look for Daniel Day-Lewis to get the award though.

BEST ACTRESS-Ellen Page was an absolute trip in Juno and is my favorite here. Look for the academy to give Cate Blanchette a close look though. Great role and performance but, in a movie no one liked. When was the last time that an actress won best and supporting roles? Hey, it could happen this year!

SUPPORTING ACTOR-Javier Barden is my hands down selection. I didn't see anyone even close. The academy however is in love with Hal Holbrook. This one could actually anger me slightly!

SUPPORTING ACTRESS-Again for me an easy selection here and it is Amy Ryan. And again here it is Cate Blanchette who had a great performance in a dud film. The academy could very well feel sorry enough for Cate's two great roles in bad movies that she gets both nods.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM- Ratatouille, any film that can hold my grandson's attention at a drive in for "almost" the entire film gets my vote. By the way he will be 10 mos. soon and has seen 6 films with me. In case your interested the one he liked the least was Cloverfield.

ART DIRECTION-I like the Golden Compass in this category. I think the academy will go with Sweeney Todd.

CINEMATOGRAPHY-“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” is my choice. The academy I think may go with “No Country for Old Men.” Both are deserving. I did not see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

BEST COSTUME-In consideration of the other choices which I didn't think really merit the nominations I will go with Sweeney Todd. The academy has always liked the style in Elizabeth.

BEST DIRECTOR-“Michael Clayton” (Warner Bros.) Tony Gilroy with a very good and well directed film. I can't see the academy shutting out There will be Blood. This category and editing may be there only shots.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE-OK call me weird here but I like “Taxi to the Dark Side." The academy I am sure will go with Sicko, which I rate as one of the worst I have seen.

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT-You got me there! I have not seen any of these. I have however heard good things about "Sari’s Mother.”

FILM EDITING- I like “No Country for Old Men” here but, if "There will be Blood" has not scored by now give it to them.

FOREIGN FILM-"Counterfeiters" I love the moral issues and the drama they bring forth in this film. It makes me think! However I don't think the academy can pass up a well done film in which Israel gets whoooped. Look for "Beaufort" to get the trophy in this tough category. The only one that could get my gander up would be "Mongol." This was very well acted if not the best acted in all this years nominations. But, just the thinking that Genghis Khan was an inspiring and visionary leader makes this serious drama almost an accidental laugh. Come on now!! I have heard a lot about rewriting history lately and here is a great example.

MAKE-UP-Could yet another bad movie win an award "Norbit." No way Pirates takes this one in a landslide.

MUSIC-ORIGINAL SCORE-You got me, this is a sentimental pick because much to the surprise of my daughters I really liked the score in Juno. Since Juno is not nominated my pick is the best film not nominated for best film, “The Kite Runner.”

MUSIC-ORIGINAL SONG-I have to go with how the song actually works within the movie. For that reason alone I choose “That’s How You Know” from “Enchanted.”

VISUAL EFFECTS-Yet again not a very good film but I must go with “The Golden Compass.”

After writing this I may understand the lack of excitement. I don't remember the last time so many "bad" films were nominated for so many awards. Don't get me wrong the awards them selves can be justified (Maybe) within a bad film.

1 comment:

maury k goldberg said...

The writer's strike took much of the fun away this year. Best Supporting Actress should have gone to Ruby Dee. I thought that The Golden Compass deserved to win for best visual effects. I give you credit for seeing most of the nominated pictures. I only saw Michael Clayton.

Maury