Thursday, February 28, 2008

Council meeting 2/28 AAAHHH Horse Feathers!!

John Gonder was absent from both the work session and the council meeting.

The work session on TIFs prior to the council meeting proved to be very helpful to both council members and interested citizens in attendance. Here is just a very brief overview of some highlight points.

The maximum life of a TIF is 30yrs. The only reason I could see to want to end one before maturity would be if there is no more redevelopement to take place in the TIF area.

TIF will free EDIT funds to be used on other projects in the city instead of having to be used within that TIF area.

TIF funds do not have to be invested intirely within the TIF borders. Funds can be used like a spider wed to reach out or, reach in if you will, to the TIF area. TIF funds can be used to fund projects that greatly effect or directly influence the TIF area. However there is an approval process to go through for this to happen.

There were a few questions about TIF area growth maybe outgrowing the capability of the New Albany police and fire services. Now that may be a matter of some concern but, I say the real reason for the no vote on TIF’s is plain and simple, POWER & CONTROL.
Redevelopement has control over TIF spending. When certain council members see the size of funds available from TIFs and see they will not have control over it, that’s just not acceptable.

Speaking of the NO vote could someone smart (since you put it in public record Randy Smith) tell me how CM Price who read info to promote TIFs, and what was important for the council to hear on how great TIFs worked for another city, then follow that up with the only NO vote cast? Unlike Mr. Smith I would never claim in a public forum or on public record that I consider myself a smart person. At the same time I would not consider myself dumb or stupid. I remember years ago stating to my mother that I was smart enough to make my own decisions. Shortly there after my girl friend was pregnant and 3 months after that I was married. No sir, you won’t hear me say I am a smart person. Besides the smartest (book smarts, and formally educated) people I know have also been blessed with the common sense of a turnip. (comment not directed at Mr. Smith) I will take my discernment and common sense over smarts any day.

I digress, Statement of benefits for Rite-Way Industries was tabled and will not be on Mondays agenda.

Enlargement of State Street/Green Valley economic development area passed with one NO vote, CM Price.

Creating a TIF for pretty much that same area passed with one NO vote, CM Price.


Economic development plan concerning the Monon development area passed with one NO vote, CM Price.

OK, I am sorry but I can’t help myself, here you go..... http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/against.wav

Both Appropriations resolutions passed with all Yes votes. Are you kidding me??

There will be no State of the City Address from Mayor England at Mondays meeting.

Finally, something I may try to do for all council meetings. I award CM Caesar with the “CM of the Meeting Award” for asking a couple of very good questions during the evening. The runner up is President Gahan with another well run meeting and getting us out of the work session in time for restroom breaks and stretching.

Past my bed time or I would elaborate more on those Caesar questions.

No comments: