Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Democrat Council At-Large Candidates In Trouble This November?

UNDER VOTES AND WHY THEY COUNT

I have to ask my readers a question. If a candidate is running unopposed and you don’t vote for that candidate, what is the reason? For me, since there is no yes or no vote as with an issue, that would be how I cast a NO vote. I am saying that I am not pleased with this candidate on my ballot and want someone different. Am I the only one here that thinks this way? Please let me know if my thinking is flawed.

The reason I must ask is that using the “coop method” of predicting possible outcomes in the general election coming this November, I see a startling figure. But first, let’s take a look at the averages and compare.

In this primary race in races with more than one candidate, other than council at-large, the average percentage of voters voting “none of the above” is 5%.

Staying within the range that I believe to be acceptable, (under 15%) are two of the uncontested races. Hubbard gets a 6% NO vote and Abersold 8%. Gahan is border line with 20%. Benedetti 23% and Wiseman 27% may find themselves in trouble come November. If 25% of voters in your party are not going to vote for you in an uncontested race in your primary, that should be a concern to you.

Now for the startling figure I lead into. Check out the NO votes or “none of the above” from the council at-large ballots.
Council at-large;
Republicans 25%
Democrats 40%

Folks that is a startling figure!! You can call under votes anything you want but, if you can turn that 40% into something positive for the Democrat council at large candidates, please show me.

I know it’s not a fair comparison to use contested and non contested races in the same context but, humor me. How striking are some of these differences . Below is a list of the percentage of votes lost from their own party in this primary and comparing it with their November counter parts.

England 2%
Hubbard 6%

Wiseman 27%
Hornung 7%

Coffey 6%
??????????

Caesar 6%
Harbison 4%

Price 5%
??????????

Mclaughlin 8%
Abersold 8%

Benedetti 23%
Bliss 3%

Gahan 20%
Stewart 4%

Hollis
Gonder 40%
Messer

Zurschmiede
Berryman 25%
Burks

For entertainment and discussion purposes only. Not a scientific study.

1 comment:

maury k goldberg said...

Dear Coop,

The rule of thumb is if a candiate get more than a 3o% vote against them in a contested primary race, will be in trouble within their respective party. I have not heard how Political Scientist deal with "undervote". I share the same feeling as you do . However, as to why one does not vote in a particular race, in absence of exit polling, could be for any number of reasons.

I would like the State of Indiana add "none of the above" catagory to our election choice. This would give the political parties an idea how the public feel about certain candidates.

Maury