Monday, April 2, 2007

"Resolution passes" are you kidding me? Really? Are you sure?

Hallelujah, they passed something that wasn’t an appropriation or abatement. I had to restrain myself from waving my arms in the air and standing to cheer. Actually credit for my restraint should fall upon the shoulders of the “joy sucker” with the gavel. It was like he just knew something good was going to happen. His opening address ended with a command to all of us in the peanut gallery to be restrained and keep our mouths shut during the session. In all actuality I must confess that this meeting was a vast improvement on the president’s part to keep the session on topic and in control. There is obvious room for growth but the effort and improvement shall be duly noted.

The “resolution” that passed was to purchase the 5 new police cars of the 10 the chief needs and asked for. The condition of these cars is said to be so bad the maintenance spending has doubled and the officers and their seats are falling through the floors of the vehicles. Even after all the discussion on the issue Steve (Fred Flintstone) Price voted no for the new cars. If he was the only person making financial decisions for this city we would have to change the name to Bedrock.

Two different resolutions to find more street paving money failed with the help of the Mayor. Wait, I thought he was the one asking, wanting and in need of this money? I have never in my life known someone who ridicules, derides, mocks and chaffs a group of people moments before asking them for something. I have seen him do it on many occasions just this year. I actually believe the paving monies from EDIT Fund had a chance to pass until he spoke to council. (a personal side note to the Mayor. Pick a book title from the list below and I will buy you the book if you promise to read it.)
How to win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
The Magic of Getting What You Want by David Schwartz
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
How to Make a Habit of Succeeding by Mack Douglas
Caring Enough to Confront by David Augsburger

CM Coffey tabled his FD hiring ordinance to see if anything he likes comes out of committee for the next meeting. NOT going to happen. On a side bar to this issue CM Price warned that if nothing happens in committee he is going to make sure something happens at next council meeting!! You should have seen CM Messer laughing. I thought he was going to fall out of his chair!!

Crime is on the rise around S. Ellen Jones Park. I urge my readers not to frequent this area between the hours of 1- 4 a.m.

For those of you getting in some early spring swimming and fishing via your living rooms, the Storm Water Board meetings have changed for this month. They will be meeting on the 13th and 27th . Mr. Deatrick agreed to me to make the top 6 priority spots public but, didn’t say when or where he would do this. Now that the money is there to fix the top six, lets see what happens.

No comments: