Sunday, January 14, 2007

Community Montessori, John Alton vs City Council

After 15yrs of living in New Albany, I can’t believe I ‘am actually defending the actions of city council. I must do so in response to John Alton’s editorial (Jan. 11). I agree with council on not hearing the Montessori resolution.

Mr. Alton, you started off by stating council “quickly” became champions of no action” by not allowing the school to be heard. I am sorry but, I have to ask, where on God’s green earth have you been for the last 15yrs!! Mr. Alton you stated that by not hearing Montessori the council violated their civil rights. Jeepers, buy kids books and send them to school and they come back with stuff like that! You stated, asking for funding from the city a school is located in is only natural. Is Montessori located in the city? What kind of precedent is set when you ask a city that is in “the red” to hand out $25,000. Hey kids, ask your parents what happens if they write a check to someone when they know there is no money in the checkbook. Let’s see, paying attention in class, civics/government, geography, and economics. All covered by Mr. Alton in his article. I hope he is not a product of Montessori. That would be called bad press.

But wait, he did have a grand idea. That is to ask the people of New Albany if they would be willing to donate $1.00? $1 per household would build the new building? Mr. Alton you’re a genius! However, that would be the schools job not the government. Hey kids, I am not very hard to find. Stop by the house and I will give you your first dollar. Stop by on a sunny weekend and I’ll even hit the neighborhood with you. Wait till spring when my checkbook looks a little better and we may even be talking “tax deductible donation”. Just don’t ask the government to do what you can do better. You have my best wished for success.

1 comment:

John Alton said...

First of all, I was born and raised in New Albany. I graduated from New Albany High School in 1972...how about you? I didn't just come on the scene 15 years ago. The Montessori school is in New Albany on St. Joseph Rd. You may have seen, either on the internet or in a phone book, Floyds Knobs for the city. A board member for the school informed me that it is in New Albany and a large portion of the students are from the city. For a city that says it's always broke, it always seems to be able to fund millions for new medical buildings.
As for the $1.00 donations, I didn't say that the city should do this. I suggested that it would be an alternative way to raise the money. I've noticed in your postings on here that you're quick to criticize everyone else, and you say you're tired of sitting and want to make a difference, so do it! If you're going to find falt with everyone else, at least have something to suggest or to offer up as an alternative yourself!